Bali airport expansion to be completed by end of June
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Post
The expansion and renovation of Ngurah Rai International Airport in Badung regency, Bali, which has cost Rp 3 trillion (US$262.61 million), is scheduled to be completed by the end of June.
After the completion of the work, it is estimated that Ngurah Rai will be able to accommodate 25 million passengers per year through 2025.
"We hope there will be no obstacles and the work can be completed as scheduled by the end of June," the airport's general manager, I Gusti Ngurah Ardhita, said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.
"We are looking forward to providing secure and comfortable services, although the airport is still under renovation."
The international terminal has been expanded from 65,800 square meters to 120,000 sqm and was opened in November. The domestic terminal's area has been increased by five times its original size, from 13,300 sqm to 65,800 sqm.
Ardhita said the international terminal had been utilizing a new inspection system for check-in luggage and hand luggage as of April without using X-ray machines at the terminal entrance.
He also said the airport would be postponing the introduction of a higher airport tax at the domestic terminal. State-owned airport operator PT Angkasa Pura I, which manages Ngurah Rai, previously announced increased airport taxes at all airports under its management.
At Ngurah Rai airport, the tax will be increased from Rp 40,000 to Rp 75,000 for domestic flights and from Rp 150,000 to Rp 200,000 for international flights.
"We are going to finish the renovation first, then maximize our services. Only then will the airport tax for domestic routes be increased,' Ardhita said.
Meanwhile, the Bali provincial administration is planning to build a second international terminal on the island, in Buleleng regency in the north of the island. The actual location will be decided in April, while construction on the new terminal is expected to be completed in 2018. (put/nvn)
You might also like :
- 8.2 magnitude quake hits off coast of Alaska: USGS
- Depok men arrested for allegedly uploading sex video
- Defector soldier 'committed murder in North Korea': report
- Earthquake leads to traffic jams in Jakarta
- BREAKING: Strong 6.4 earthquake hits Banten, no tsunami warning
- Jakarta Planetarium to host public lunar eclipse observation on Jan 31
- Jonghyun's last album released posthumously
- Hundreds of houses damaged by Lebak earthquake
- Indonesia eyes 3 percent inflation rate in 2020
- The xx to perform in Jakarta on Tuesday