Govt still confirming dead body is Santoso
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
The government is currently confirming whether one of two people killed in a firefight in Tambarana Village, Poso, Central Sulawesi, is Indonesia’s most-wanted terrorist, Santoso, an official said on Monday.
Coordinating Political, Legal, and Security Affairs Minister Luhut B. Pandjaitan confirmed that two terrorists shot death at around 5:30 p.m. on Monday were members of the East Indonesia Mujahidin (MIT). However, he could not yet confirm whether one of the dead men, who has a similar physical appearances to Santoso, was indeed the MIT leader.
"It's possible, but we're still confirming the news. The features are similar [to Santoso’s], but we still cannot confirm it," Luhut said on Monday.
A source from the field said that during an exchange of fire with two women and three men, members of the Tinombala taskforce’s Alpha 29 team shot dead two terrorists, one of which had long hair, a mole on his face, and a long beard, features that match Santoso’s.
Officials are now recovering the dead bodies for confirmation, Luhut said, adding that he could only confirm the information later tonight. (dan)
You might also like :
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape