'I'm an unpaid political staffer for Ahok': Sunny
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
A panel of Jakarta Corruption Court judges grilled Sunny Tanuwidjaja, a special staffer for Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, in a hearing on Monday against corruption suspect and former president director of property giant Agung Podomoro Land Ariesman Widjaja.
Sunny, who is also general manager at Indonesian conglomerate Rajawali Corpora, told the court as a witness that he had been acquainted with Ahok since 2010. In 2012, when Ahok became deputy governor alongside then governor Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, Ahok appointed Sunny to his staff.
Sunny's duties included updating Ahok on the political climate in relation with his position as a member of the think tank Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS).
"My duty is to update Ahok regarding political developments, discussions and decisions. Sometimes, I also meet politicians," Sunny told the court.
Despite being a staffer for Ahok, the Northern Illinois University graduate claimed that he had never received a salary even though Ahok’s other staffers received Rp 10 million (US$761) to Rp 20 million per month. He did not refute these work conditions, claiming his salary as a general manager was sufficient.
Meanwhile, Ahok who also testified as a witness, told judges that Sunny for him was more like his discussion partner. Sunny also provided Ahok with political analytics on his public perception and suggestions on how to win the Jakarta gubernatorial election.
The two testified as witnesses in the trial against Ariesman who was named as a suspect in a bribery case related to the deliberation of draft bylaws on the Jakarta Bay reclamation project. (rin)
You might also like :
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...