17 ambulances arrive on Nusakambangan
The Jakarta Post
Seventeen ambulances, 14 of which carried coffins, arrived on Nusakambangan prison island in Cilacap, Central Java, on Thursday morning.
With the arrival of the ambulances, it is deemed highly likely that the executions of 14 death-row drug inmates will be conducted early Friday. It has been a long-standing tradition on Nusakambangan that ambulances are readied to pick up bodies of the condemned from the prison less than 24 hours before the executions.
In an earlier statement, Attorney General M Prasetyo said the executions of the 14 death-row inmates would be conducted early Friday. He said all technical and legal aspects of the executions had been fulfilled.
(Read also : Nusakambangan waters cleared ahead of executions)
No list of those to be executed has been released as yet. However people to face firing squads reportedly include Indonesians Freddy Budiman and Merri Utami, Pakistani Zulfiqar Ali, Indian Gurdip Singh and Nigerian Onkonkwo Nonso Kingsley.
Earlier on Thursday, hundreds of military and police personnel, including National Police Mobile Brigade (Brimob) agents, were deployed in several areas around the Wijaya Pura Dock complex in Cilacap. They are securing and monitoring the area ahead of the executions.
“It has been jointly decided by the security team that we have to clear the Wijaya Pura area from all kinds of visits that are not related to the condemned [...],” said Banyumas Police spokesperson Adj. Comr. Bintoro, the only police officer authorized to make statements on the executions. (ebf)
You might also like :
- US man charged with killing pregnant wife and two toddlers
- US threatens more Turkey sanctions if pastor not freed
- Jokowi defends his infrastructure program
- President, first lady celebrate Sumatran culture on Independence Day
- Muslim couple denied Swiss citizenship over handshake refusal
- Canadian killed, American wounded in Mexico shooting
- Yazidi 'ex-sex slave' trapped both in Iraq and in German exile
- Pilgrims descend on Mecca for 'smart haj'
- Chinese plane slides off Manila airport runway in heavy rain
- Madonna celebrates turning 60 in Marrakech