Prabowo to support Anies’ campaign ahead of runoff
The Jakarta Post
After successfully boosting support for gubernatorial candidate Anies Baswedan prior to the first round of the Jakarta election, Gerindra Party patron Prabowo Subianto is set to hit the campaign trail to gather more support for the candidate ahead of the second round.
Anies confirmed Prabowo’s readiness in a statement on Friday. The former education and culture minister added that he also expected Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) president Sohibul Iman to join his campaign ahead of the runoff, in which he is likely to face tough competition against incumbent candidate Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama.
“Of course they [Prabowo and Sohibul] will get involved in the campaign again. They have also been involved in communicating with other party leaders to discuss coalitions,” he continued.
(Read also: Anies to focus on key programs ahead of runoff)
Considered Anies' main backer ahead of the poll, Prabowo played a key role in boosting voter support for the candidate before the Feb. 15 election. During his campaign, Prabowo repeatedly said he had made a mistake by deciding to support Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Ahok in the Jakarta election in 2012. He emphasized that Anies was capable of being a better leader.
The ongoing vote recapitulation by the Jakarta General Elections Commission (KPU Jakarta) suggests that Anies and Ahok are in a tight race as both of them garnered around 40 percent of the vote in the first round. The third gubernatorial candidate, Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono, failed to qualify for the second round and has conceded defeat. (ebf)
You might also like :
- Jokowi orders police to gun down foreign drug traffickers
- Justin Bieber's Indonesia concert rumors heat up following media reports
- Bumi subsidiary to gain big from NFC deal: Analyst
- Indonesia condemns Israeli crackdown on holy mosque
- High-tech mystery: Is a Facebook phone in the works?
- Pertamina pledges firm actions against ‘recalcitrant’ LPG distributors
- Private investors called on to help supply electricity to villages
- Cruise company to offer trips to Makassar, Semarang
- Dali's trademark moustache intact at '10 past 10'
- Waste bank gives Cengkareng residents extra income