Suspected terrorist in Bandung captured alive
The Jakarta Post
After exchanging fire for more than one hour with a suspected terrorist, fully equipped personnel from the West Java Police’s Mobile Brigade managed to secure the Arjuna sub-district office in Cicendo district, Bandung, West Java, at around 10:45 a.m. local time on Monday.
The raid was conducted with support from Bandung administration fire fighters, who extinguished fires on the second floor of the sub-district office. Shortly after, police personnel neutralized the attacker with dozens of gunshots, which could be heard clearly by local residents gathered outside the building.
“The perpetrator was shot,” said West Java Police spokesperson Sr. Comr. Yusri Yunus as quoted by kompas.com on Monday. The police are still trying to ascertain the motive behind the attack.
Before entering the Arjuna sub-district office, the perpetrator detonated a bomb at the Pandawa field, located behind the office. “We still don’t know the reasons for his act. We are still investigating,” said Yusri.
As reported earlier, a man carrying a backpack entered the Arjuna sub-district office on Monday morning.
Separately, West Java Police chief Insp. Gen. Anton Charliyan said the police were forced to shoot the perpetrator because he was attempting to burn down the sub-district office. It was worried that the fires flaring up in the office would spread to other buildings nearby.
“We ordered personnel to arrest the perpetrator alive. He has been taken to the hospital,” said Anton. (ebf)
You might also like :
- PCC widely distributed in many regions
- Banyuwangi to hold International Tour de Banyuwangi Ijen cycling competition
- Parent sends open letter to Jokowi, seeking justice for son’s death
- Toys ‘R’ Us seeks bankruptcy, crushed by online competition
- Morowali polytechnic commences training of first batch
- Soekarno–Hatta International Airport Skytrain is officially launched
- 19 Jambi pilgrims die of 'natural causes' during haj
- Mount Agung activity on the rise: Agency
- City collects Rp 64 million from litterbugs
- Agency to host pitching, financing forum for Indonesian film projects