Anies gains support from Syarikat Islam
The Jakarta Post
Muslim group Syarikat Islam has suggested it will throw support behind Anies Baswedan and running mate Sandiaga Uno in the second round of the Jakarta gubernatorial election as the group’s head considers Anies the right candidate to lead the city.
During a meeting with Anies on Tuesday, Syarikat Islam leader Hamdan Zoelva said he was a close friend of Anies and familiar with the latter’s capability.
“Anies and Sandiaga are my close friends. I told Anies that I hoped they could use the election to unite Jakarta residents,” Hamdan, also a former Constitutional Court chief, said after the meeting at Syarikat Islam headquarters in Menteng, Central Jakarta.
He added that he hoped Anies could prevent disunity in the city.
Anies said support from the group would help boost his campaign team’s morale ahead of the runoff, saying that he was ready bring better leadership to the city.
“The most important is not to change the governor, but to change policy. If I win the election, I will fight for marginalized residents,” he continued.
Two gubernatorial candidates are facing off in the second round of the election. Anies and incumbent Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, who stood trial over blasphemy allegations on Tuesday, have entered the second campaign period.
You might also like :
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary