Anies gains support from Syarikat Islam
The Jakarta Post
Muslim group Syarikat Islam has suggested it will throw support behind Anies Baswedan and running mate Sandiaga Uno in the second round of the Jakarta gubernatorial election as the group’s head considers Anies the right candidate to lead the city.
During a meeting with Anies on Tuesday, Syarikat Islam leader Hamdan Zoelva said he was a close friend of Anies and familiar with the latter’s capability.
“Anies and Sandiaga are my close friends. I told Anies that I hoped they could use the election to unite Jakarta residents,” Hamdan, also a former Constitutional Court chief, said after the meeting at Syarikat Islam headquarters in Menteng, Central Jakarta.
He added that he hoped Anies could prevent disunity in the city.
Anies said support from the group would help boost his campaign team’s morale ahead of the runoff, saying that he was ready bring better leadership to the city.
“The most important is not to change the governor, but to change policy. If I win the election, I will fight for marginalized residents,” he continued.
Two gubernatorial candidates are facing off in the second round of the election. Anies and incumbent Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, who stood trial over blasphemy allegations on Tuesday, have entered the second campaign period.
You might also like :
- Jakarta shocked by deadly bombings days before Ramadhan
- #PrayForJakarta, #KamiTidakTakut trend worldwide following bomb blast
- Film inspired by 212 rally to hit cinemas
- Kampung Melayu suicide bomber identified
- UK issues travel warning after Kampung Melayu bombings
- Police find links between Jakarta twin bombings and Bandung bombing
- East Jakarta suicide blasts likely linked to IS: Police
- Pressure cooker bombs used in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- Jakarta bombing attack a retaliation against police: Analyst
- Jakarta suicide bombing kills three police officers