Ahok to present Muslim cleric at blasphemy hearing
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
Incumbent Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama is set to present a Muslim cleric during the 15th hearing of his blasphemy trial on Tuesday.
Fifi Lety Indra, Ahok's lawyer, said the legal team would present KH Ahmad Ishomuddin from Nahdlatul Ulama’s central board (PBNU) to testify before the judges.
"Ahmad is a rais syuriah of the PBNU Jakarta chapter and a lecturer from the sharia faculty at Raden Intan State Islamic University, Lampung," Fifi said on Monday, referring to the term for a supreme leader of a religious council within the largest Islamic organization in the country.
Besides Ahmad, Ahok’s team will also present University of Indonesia language expert Rahayu Surtiati and Parahyangan University criminal law expert Djisman Samosir.
Last Tuesday, the lawyers, who earlier described the case as a "trial by the mob," presented criminal expert Edward Omar Sharif Hiariej from Gadjah Mada University.
Edward testified that the prosecutors’ decision to indict Ahok on alternative charges showed their doubts about the validity of the blasphemy case.
According to the indictment, by commenting on Surah Al Maidah 51 of the Quran during a visit to Thousand Islands on Sept. 27, Ahok violated either Article 156 or Article 156, section A, of the Criminal Code, which carry maximum sanctions of four years and five years in prison, respectively.
"The alternative indictments show the prosecutors’ doubts in determining the appropriate charge [against Ahok]. Therefore, they’ve handed it over it to the judges,” Edward said.
- Paris clashes over police killing of Chinese man injured three
- Regulation on EURO IV adoption signed
- Jakarta saves 157 MW during Earth Hour 2017
- House to hold confirmation hearings for new KPU, Bawaslu commissioners
- Vale Indonesia to spend US$90 million for smelter rejuvenation, expansion
- Railway station tunnels to be completed in April
- Sour note: Brexit forces orchestra move from UK to Belgium
- Chinese investor interested in Vale Indonesia’s Bahodopi smelter project
- Gorontalo orphanage molestation suspect previously convicted of same crime
- Jokowi's latest video reveals Slank, Burgerkill as his favorite bands