First Papuan appointed police chief outside region
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Papuans have praised National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian for appointing a native to the country's eastermost region as a police chief in Java.
Tito has appointed Adj. Sr. Comr. Semmy Ronny Thabaa, former Nabire Police chief in Papua, as the new chief of Tegal Police in Central Java.
“This is the first such appointment. We give our highest appreciation to General Tito,” chairman of Meepago customs council John NR Gobay, who is also a secretary of the Papuan Customary Council, told The Jakarta Post.
(Read also: Political risk of neglecting inequality in Papua)
The assignment given to Semmy by Gen. Tito – who was once a Papua Police chief, as he saw it, shows a changing perspective on the way Javanese people see Papuans, who are often considered behind in education and development.
He said now people from other parts of Indonesia could learn that Papuans were well-educated, had good achievements and could perform well in the tasks entrusted to them.
Semmy is a 1995 graduate of the Police Academy. Before he was assigned in Tegal, he was a police chief in Paniai, Jayawijaya and Nabire, all in Papua.
John said Semmy was assertive but a populist, proactive in handling cases and had good communication skills with all walks of life, including those holding different opinions.
Papua Police chief Insp. Gen. Paulus Waterpauw also appreciated the police chief's move, saying that he hoped Semmy could become a role model for young Papuan police officers. (wit)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China