Facebook user reported after claiming gang rape of Ahok voters 'halal'
The Jakarta Post
A Facebook user who stated that it was halal (religiously acceptable) to gang rape women supporting incumbent Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama, was reported to the Jakarta Police on Monday.
Indonesian Women Against Violence reported the person, identified only as DA, for allegedly spreading hate speech against women.
"We are concerned that the [Facebook] post might cause violence in real life. Moreover, we remember what happened in the May 1998 tragedy, when widespread sexual violence left many people traumatized, particularly Chinese-Indonesian women," said Valentina Sagala from the women’s organization, referring to the 1998 violence that preceded the fall of the Soeharto regime.
Valentina, however, emphasized that the report had nothing to do with the current Jakarta election race that sees Ahok running against Anies Baswedan, who is supported by several Islamist organizations, among other groups.
Ahok, a Christian of Chinese ethnicity, has faced several issues relating to race and religion during the campaign period.
"We are not standing up for any particular candidate, we’re standing up for women," she said. "Whichever candidate they choose, women must never be subject to violence."
Valentina said the case showed that many people in the country still viewed women as targets for political machinations.
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Using the best of Security Council membership for Palestine-Israel conflict
- Malaysia's Najib explains why he had so many luxury handbags, lots of cash, jewe...
- UK visa requirements relaxed for Indonesian students
- We deserve more choices
- Number missing in Indonesia ferry disaster jumps again to 192: official
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Handgun found in bin at Soekarno-Hatta airport
- US centers force migrant children to take drugs -lawsuit
- Wiji Thukul's daughter heals tragedy with poetry