Yogyakarta activists reject Central Java governor’s visit
The Jakarta Post
Around 25 activists from the rights movement, Jogja Solidarity Against Cement Factory, staged a rally on Tuesday to protest the visit of Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo to the University of Gadjah Mada (UGM) campus in Yogyakarta.
“Learning from the fighting spirit of the mother of Kendeng, Yu Padmi, who died in her struggle against the construction of the cement factory in Kendeng, we are here reject the visit of Ganjar, ‘the cement governor’,” rally coordinator Ahmad Haedar said on Tuesday.
Padmi passed away on March 21 after a week-long rally against the construction of the Rembang cement factory in front of the State Palace in Jakarta. At the rally, Padmi and several other female farmers from Kendeng, buried their feet in concrete blocks to show their resistance to the project.
Pitra Hutomo, a female activist, asked Ganjar to cease mining activities on Kendeng Mountain, which could deplete water reserves in the area.
“If the water resources here are depleted, can we drink cement?” she said. The activists showed posters emblazoned with various messages against the cement factory, such as “Stop the Confiscation of People’s Land”, “Reject Ganjar” and “Kendeng Lestari (Everlasting Kendeng)”.
The protesters later marched to the Wisma Kagama meeting hall and asked Ganjar, who was attending a seminar there, to meet with them. Disappointed by Ganjar’s refusal, the protesters later blocked the governor’s way as he left the building.
Haedar told Ganjar that by permitting the construction of the cement factory, the government would kill Kendeng residents because of the project’s impact on water resources and agricultural activities in the area. (ebf)
- Korean comedy-drama sparks uproar for 'disrespecting Islam'
- 4 cities in Indonesia where you can travel by foot
- Another cargo plane skids off runway in Papua
- WhatsApp adds Picture-in-Picture feature on Android 8.0
- Beware the dangers of pre-cooked meals
- Six ITB students injured by crumbling pillar
- Wonderful Indonesia Festival 2017 to grace Manila
- Jember crowned Indonesia's Carnival City
- Danilo completes Man City move
- US golfer Spieth in prime position to win British Open