Indonesia, US settle trade row after Jokowi meets Pence
The Jakarta Post
The topics of fair trade, investment and stronger security cooperation dominated a one-hour discussion between President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and United States Vice President Mike Pence at the State Palace on Thursday.
The US vice president, who is in Jakarta as part of a 10-day Asia-Pacific tour just two weeks after US President Donald Trump called for an investigation into the “trade imbalance” between the US and 16 countries, including Indonesia, was paying Jokowi a courtesy call.
In a joint press conference after Thursday’s talks, held on the veranda of the State Palace over a cup of tea, Jokowi said Indonesia had secured commitments from the US to improve the US-Indonesia Strategic Partnership, which the President said would focus on trade and investment in the future.
“Next month, there will be a team that will discuss management of bilateral trade and investment based on a win-win principle,” said Jokowi, adding that both Indonesia and the US would also strengthen cooperation for peace.
Speaking after Jokowi, Pence said that Trump put a high value on the US-Indonesia Strategic Partnership, which was established by the two countries in 2011 during the era of Trump’s predecessor, Barrack Obama, who spent part of his childhood in Jakarta.
Pence said that both Indonesia and the US must work to break down barriers to ensure that American exporters can fully participate in the Indonesian market, the same freedom that Indonesian exporters have had in many sectors in the US for many years. (jun)
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- US Navy planning new camps to support immigration crackdown: Report
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Cuba to get ready for same sex marriage: Castro daughter