Jokowi witnesses military exercises in Natuna
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo departed on Friday for Natuna, Riau Islands, to witness military exercises.
After arriving at Raden Sadjad Air Force Base on the presidential aircraft on Friday morning, Jokowi traveled by Super Puma helicopter to Tanjung Datuk, where he witnessed military exercises conducted by the Army's Strategic Reserves Command's (Kostrad) Quick Reaction Strike Force (PPRC).
“After witnessing the exercises, Jokowi will return to Jakarta in the afternoon,” said the State Palace in a media statement on Friday.
Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Puan Maharani, Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung, Presidential Military Secretary Air Vice Marshal Trisno Hendradi, Presidential Security Detail (Paspampres) commander Brig. Gen. Suhartono and presidential expert staff member Diaz Hendropriyono accompanied President Jokowi during his visit.
Four military personnel were killed and eight others were injured when a Chinese-made anti-aircraft cannon malfunctioned and fired off shots randomly during a military exercise in Tanjung Datuk on Wednesday.
The accident, involving a Giant Bow anti-aircraft cannon, occurred at the Air Defense Artillery 1/K compound during shooting practice. It was reported that the military exercises were part of preparations ahead of Jokowi’s visit. Army spokesperson Col. Alfret Denny Tuejeh later denied the speculation, claiming they were just regular exercises. (dis/ebf)
- G30S/PKI film is the correct version of history: Tommy Soeharto
- Residents near Mt. Agung begin to relocate their livestock
- Uber tops 500,000 signatures on petition to halt London ban
- Keep calm and enjoy Bali: Tourism association
- Wiranto calms fear over weapon shipment rumor
- Thousands flee rumbling Mount Agung
- Owner of Islamic matchmaking site arrested, charged under Pornography Law
- Gatot order on PKI film could create division: PDI-P
- New Zealand's English claims mandate to form government
- Singapore IS fighter challenges Prince Harry in video