BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
Safrin La Batu
The Jakarta Post
At least five people have fallen victim to a bomb blast near a Transjakarta bus station in Kampung Melayu in East Jakarta, National Police deputy chief Comr. Gen. Syafruddin said on Wednesday.
At least two people have been killed in the attack, the suspected suicide bomber and policeman Sec. Brig. Taufan.
'"There are five victims. Five policeman, one of whom was killed," Syafruddin said, adding that the other four policemen had been badly injured in the blast.
“I want to express my sympathies. An explosion has occurred. For the time being, we are treating it as a suicide bombing. We believe there is a single perpetrator. We have not yet identified the perpetrator,” Syafruddin said.
The explosion took place at around 9 p.m., Jakarta time.
Traffic around the scene has been blocked off and the police are investigating the explosion.
If the police are correct and this is indeed a suicide bomb attack, it will be one of several such attacks that have targeted the police in Indonesia. (bbs)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Instant Noodle Longform