BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
Safrin La Batu
The Jakarta Post
At least five people have fallen victim to a bomb blast near a Transjakarta bus station in Kampung Melayu in East Jakarta, National Police deputy chief Comr. Gen. Syafruddin said on Wednesday.
At least two people have been killed in the attack, the suspected suicide bomber and policeman Sec. Brig. Taufan.
'"There are five victims. Five policeman, one of whom was killed," Syafruddin said, adding that the other four policemen had been badly injured in the blast.
“I want to express my sympathies. An explosion has occurred. For the time being, we are treating it as a suicide bombing. We believe there is a single perpetrator. We have not yet identified the perpetrator,” Syafruddin said.
The explosion took place at around 9 p.m., Jakarta time.
Traffic around the scene has been blocked off and the police are investigating the explosion.
If the police are correct and this is indeed a suicide bomb attack, it will be one of several such attacks that have targeted the police in Indonesia. (bbs)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- Obama’s visit to boost Indonesia’s tourism
- Bumi Resources finally obtains effective statement to restructure debt
- Police to question media mogul Hary Tanoe as suspect in alleged threat against prosecutor
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines