Police release identities of Jakarta suicide bombers
The Jakarta Post
National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said on Friday that the suspects of the suicide bombings at the Kampung Melayu bus station in East Jakarta were Ichwan Nurul Salam and Ahmad Syukri, adding that both were members of the Jamaah Anshar Daulah (JAD) terrorist group.
“The perpetrators have been identified through their fingerprints and DNA tests. Ichwan Nurul Salam’s DNA was confirmed through his biological son, Jibril. Meanwhile, Ahmad Syukri was confirmed through his biological mother Eti Nurhasanah,” Tito told reporters at the National Police Hospital in Kramat Jati, East Jakarta, on Friday.
Tito added that the suicide bombers were part of the JAD network in Bandung, West Java. The JAD group supports the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), which was led by Bahrun Naim.
“[The attack in Kampung Melayu] was another terror attack committed by ISIS through Bahrun Naim in Indonesia, in addition to the one in Thamrin [Central Jakarta] last year,” Tito said.
Tito said that according to the investigation carried by the National Police’s Densus 88 counterterrorism squad, the two suspects were part of the Mudiriyah cell of the JAD group.
“They are all part of a cell system in which they do not even know each other, except the leaders,” Tito said.
Two bombs went off at the Kampung Melayu bus station on Wednesday evening, killing three police officers and the two alleged suicide bombers. A dozen people were injured in the blasts. (dis)
- Australian arrested for alleged street assault
- Saudi Arabia's jailed trailblazers
- Three foreign tourists rescued after failed fishing trip in Aceh
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Indonesia poised to benefit as China's Belt and Road turns green
- Suspected terrorist shot dead in Pamanukan for resisting arrest
- Jakpost guide to bookworm havens
- At midnight, Riyadh erupts in cheers for a woman in a car
- Mexico caught up in victorious jumble of joy
- Rain puts out forest fire on Mt Lawu