Gunadarma University admits students bully autistic classmate
The Jakarta Post
Gunadarma University admitted on Monday that a video showing an autistic student being bullied by other students at its Depok campus in West Java was authentic.
Gunadarma deputy rector Irwan Bastian said the autistic student was a sophomore studying computer and information technology.
“It is too much to be a joke. And it was at the hands of his own classmates,” Irwan said as quoted by tempo.co.
The 14-second video shows a student in a black shirt tugging on the young man’s backpack and laughing while other students laugh and clap their hands in the man’s face.
They also threw trash at him. No one came to his defense.
Irwan said Gunadarma University had looked into the matter and said three students had been involved in the bullying.
He vowed that the university would punish the three students, possibly through a verbal or written reprimand or expulsion.
“If there is criminal element involved, they could be imprisoned,” Irwan said. (wnd)
- Planning to travel this Ramadhan? Try these Muslim
- Dugong sellers thwarted in West Sulawesi
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- Malaysian playboy financier in cross
- Japan keeps word, gifts Akita dog to Russian skater Zagitova
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Two Koreas’ leaders hold second summit: Cheong Wa Dae
- Teen suspect killed 6
- New lava flow crosses onto Hawaii geothermal plant property
- Rainbow flags and high heels: S. Korea holds debut drag parade