PKS joins Gerindra in legal action against Viktor's caliphate remarks
Nurul Fitri Ramadhani and Margareth S. Aritonang
The Jakarta Post
The Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) has reported NasDem Party lawmaker Viktor Laiskodat to the National Police over his controversial caliphate remarks, making the PKS the second opposition party to file a criminal lawsuit against the pro-government politician.
The Gerindra Party reported Viktor in response to widely spread footage of him accusing Gerindra and the PKS, along with two other opposition parties, the Democratic Party and the National Mandate Party (PAN), as being supporters of a caliphate.
Representing the party, Zainudin Paru, who heads the PKS’ law and human rights division, went to the police’s criminal investigation division on Monday to file a report against Viktor for allegedly defaming the PKS in a speech he delivered recently in his electoral district of Kupang, East Nusa Tenggara.
“Viktor explicitly said that four parties, including Gerindra, the Democratic Party, the PKS and the PAN, were supporters of a caliphate and extremists, because we opposed the Perppu [regulation in lieu of law] on mass organizations,” Zainudin said.
Zainudin was referring to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s recently issued regulation to ban hardline groups promoting activities against the state ideology of Pancasila.
“It is a false and cruel accusation to say that we support the extremists as well as the caliphate,” Zainudin added. (ipa)
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Saudi woman's case against father stirs 'guardianship' debate
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations
- Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions
- Land owners unseal 46 schools after promise to hire them as civil servants
- Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang dead at 61: State media
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world