Police chief dismissed following deadly shooting in Deiyai
Nethy Darma Somba
The Jakarta Post
Papua Police chief Insp. Gen. Pol Boy Rafli Amar has stripped First. Insp. HM. Raini of his position as Tigi Police chief following a fatal shooting incident implicating police personnel in Deiyai regency, Papua, on Aug. 1.
Yulianus Pigai, 28, was found dead with several gunshot wounds to his body while at least nine others sustained injuries when police personnel tried to disperse an angry crowd that had destroyed a construction camp of a contractor firm near the Oneibo River.
Boy has also retracted the Mobile Brigade (Brimob) personnel from Tigi.
“They will arrive in [provincial capital of] Jayapura today for further investigation at the Papua Police headquarters. A new Tigi Police chief will be installed in the next few days,” the former National Police spokesman said in Jayapura on Monday.
An investigation team led by Papua Police’s internal affairs division head has been scheduled to hold a case screening with the National Commission for Human Rights (Komnas HAM) to examine facts and evidence, Boy added.
On Sunday night, civil societies and activists held a candle light vigil at the Perumnas II Waena residential complex in Jayapura as an expression of concern over the incident.
“The shooting has tarnished Indonesia’s independence day that will be celebrated this month,” rally coordinator Abner Waine said.
Timika Bishop John Saklil also condemned the shooting, calling it an abuse of state apparatus to attack civilians and a cruel crime against humanity.
“All perpetrators must be held to account and tried in the human rights court,” he said. (bbs)
- Three former presidents join Jokowi to celebrate Independence Day
- Jokowi praises Jakarta for Semanggi interchange
- UGM tops RI university ranking
- SEA Games: Indonesia beats Philippines 3-0
- Eleven teens suspected in prostitution ring
- SBY attends ceremony at State Palace
- Dangdut singer partners with Tourism Ministry to launch new cake brand
- China gets tough on long, odd company names
- Ahok, other prisoners barred from Independence Day event
- Jokowi inaugurates new Semanggi overpass on Independence Day