Railway operator to increase frequency on Jakarta-Bandung route
The Jakarta Post
State-owned railway operator PT Kerata Api Indonesia (KAI) plans to add five more daily trips on the Jakarta-Bandung route to accommodate an increasing number of passengers.
“Currently, we operate eight trips. With the additional trips, we will have 13 trips per day,” said KAI Jakarta and West Java operations spokesman Suprapto in a statement on Wednesday.
Demand for journeys between Jakarta and Bandung had been increasing in recent months as the West Java capital had become a popular destination for Jakartans to spend their weekend, in addition to growing business activities in the city, he said.Read also: KAI’s inaugural travel fair starts off on the wrong foot
He said tickets would sell out every weekend.
With the additional trips, trains between Jakarta and Bandung will have a capacity to transport 5,836 passengers per day, up from currently 3,868, according to data from the railway operator.
In July, Jakarta-Bandung trains transported 109,158 passengers, up from 96,453 passengers in June.
In the past, the Jakarta-Bandung railway was the main means of transportation connecting the two cities. But after the opening of the Jakarta-Bandung toll road, the number of passengers decreased, forcing KAI to stop the operation of its Argo Gede executive trains.
Currently, KAI only operate the Argo Parahyangan trains, which include business and executive services. (bbn)
- Contract to be extended to 2041 as Freeport agrees to divest 51% shares
- Indonesian N219 aircraft succeeds in first test flight
- Soekarno-Hatta airport’s skytrain begins trial operation
- Put on some weight, says politician to Jokowi in prayer
- Jokowi declares graft war in front House members, Setya
- Studio Ghibli goes into full production for new Hayao Miyazaki film
- Jokowi wears traditional attire during annual state of the nation address
- EDITORIAL: Forever young Indonesia
- What not to do in North Korea
- Jokowi maintains merciless stance on drug dealers