Tegal mayor’s arrest a ‘heavy blow’ to Central Java: Governor
The Jakarta Post
Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo has called the arrest of Tegal Mayor Siti Masitha Soeparno during a sting operation launched by the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) investigators on Tuesday a “heavy blow” to the province.
“For me, Central Java has been hit again because this [the arrest] happened not without a warning. We have seen this before,” he said on as quoted by Antara on Wednesday, referring to previous arrests of Central Java officials for corruption.
Ganjar said he was planning to gather all regional heads in Central Java in a consolidation meeting as part of his efforts to prevent the spread of corruption.
“We will meet to discuss what has happened to us, that we would continue to commit such practices. I have warned all regents and mayors,” said Ganjar, adding that the province would be entering a transparent and accountable era for all parties.
“It will be longer common for officials [to accept bribes and commit corruption] because there are big risks they may face.”
(Read also: KPK arrests Tegal mayor Siti Masitha)
Siti Masitha was arrested at her official residence in the City Hall complex on Jl. Gede Sedayu, Tegal, on Tuesday evening. Before the arrest, KPK investigators sealed offices at Kardinah Regional General Hospital (RSUD).
It is suspected that the mayor’s arrest is related to the construction of an intensive care unit (ICU) facility at the hospital.
Siti Masitha was inaugurated as Tegal mayor on March 23, 2014. Her predecessor, Ikmal Jaya, was sent to prison in 2015 for corruption surrounding a botched land procurement case. (afr/ebf)
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Government to issue new regulation on coal permits
- JT610 victim's bride takes wedding photo shoot without groom
- Associate of close Trump adviser expects to be indicted by Mueller
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route
- University student ‘pseudo poll’: LGBT behavior caused by keeping wrong company...
- Garuda Indonesia records best OTP in Asia Pacific