Haj pilgrim dies during flight to Surakarta
Ganug Nugroho Adi
The Jakarta Post
Siamah Djojodikromo Marto, 66, a haj pilgrim from Magelang regency in Central Java, died while on board a flight returning to Indonesia on Sunday afternoon.
The flight from the King Abdulaziz International Airport Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, was bound for Adi Soemarmo International Airport in Surakarta, Central Java.
The resident of Banyusari village reportedly suffered from a heart attack about one hour before the plane was scheduled to land.
"[After the plane landed] a medical team examined the body and took the body to Donohudan Haj Dormitory in Boyolali, Central Java. Her body was taken to Magelang later on Sunday,” said Afief Mundzir, the spokesman of the Indonesian Haj Management Committee (PPIH) Surakarta.
As of Monday, 55 haj pilgrims from Central Java and Yogyakarta had passed away, 54 of them died while in Saudi Arabia.
Read also: Government praised for smooth haj management
Meanwhile, five of 357 pilgrims from batch 10 from Pemalang, Central Java, suffered from respiratory problems upon arrival at Donohudan.
A medic at the dorm, Luluk Arifatul, said all had received medical treatment.
"We have to ensure they are all in good health before returning them to their respective home towns," Luluk said.
As many as 33,892 haj pilgrims departed from Surakarta this year, almost all of them are from Central Java. (bbs)
- Soekarno-Hatta Airport to implement cashless transactions for parking
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- Violence cases against women, children in Jambi increased: Official
- A L'Oreal heiress is now the world's richest woman