Taman Safari Indonesia reports man, woman to police for giving animals alcohol
The Jakarta Post
Management of a conservation park in Cisarua, Bogor, West Java, have reported a man and woman to the police for giving a hippopotamus and a deer an alcoholic drink, as shown in a video that went viral.
"We reported the two perpetrators to Cisarua Police this morning. Their actions endangered our animals and breached animal welfare norms. Hence, we decided to take the case to the police," Taman Safari Indonesia's spokesman Yulius Suprihardo told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
Yulius added that the park's veterinary team was currently examining the animals to determine whether the alcohol had affected their health.
Yulius thanked Instagram users for reporting the issue to Taman Safari Indonesia.
"Thank you for your concern and support toward our animals' welfare."
Animal welfare activists lambasted a man and woman known on Instagram as @philipbiondi and @alyccaaa for giving a hippopotamus and a deer red wine at Taman Safari Indonesia.
The actions were recorded and uploaded by the woman on her Instagram story before the videos went viral.
- TV program under fire for showing protected giant clam being cooked
- Group touts Susi Pudjiastuti as Jokowi’s running mate
- New rule no 'carte blanche' for foreign workers: Minister
- Kate, wife of UK's Prince William, taken to hospital to give birth to third child
- Government issues revised regulation on tax holidays
- Mitsubishi, Honda introduce special edition cars at IIMS
- Palm oil exports fall by 14% in February: Gapki
- EDITORIAL: When interests collide
- Indonesian-made messaging app Callind launches in Jakarta
- Landslide damages house in Depok