Police unable to confirm reports of Bahrun Naim's death
The Jakarta Post
The National Police has been unable confirm the death of Indonesian militant Bahrun Naim, believed to be fighting in Syria, amid social media posts reporting his demise.
It is believed that news of Bahrun’s death was spread on social media by members of terrorist networks in Indonesia or abroad, said National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian.
Bahrun reportedly died in Abu Hammam, Syria, on Nov. 30, during a fight against the Syrian army.
“Police must prioritize [news] from accurate, official sources, such as from Interpol personnel that have access [to Syria],” Tito said on Tuesday as reported by tempo.co.
The National Police’s antiterrorism squad Densus 88 has also been unable to confirm the accuracy of the reports.
“He could be dead, or not; it could be a trick, to stop our pursuit [of Bahrun],” Tito added.
Bahrun was among dozens of Indonesians believed to have left the country for Syria to join the Islamic State (IS) movement.
The National Police believe the tech savvy militant to be the leader of Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD), a terrorist network that had been involved in recruiting hard-line fighters across the country.
Bahrun was also suspected of being the mastermind of a terrorist attack that hit Jakarta in January last year, which killed eight people, including four perpetrators. (vla/rin)
- 53 injured as Saudi jet makes emergency landing
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- Police find 'missing' teen's body at South Jakarta apartment
- Castle restoration plan with no elevators causing controversy
- Commentary: Soeharto's most likely successor? How about Prabowo?
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- Australian archbishop guilty of concealing child sex abuse
- Displaced for different beliefs
- Five dead in India from Nipah virus, dozens quarantined
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'