Adults encouraged to get diphtheria vaccinations
The Jakarta Post
The majority of diphtheria cases nationwide show children as the infected party. However, adults should also be concerned following a recent outbreak, doctor associations have said.
The Health Ministry recently reported that the number of cases had risen from 591 in November this year to 903 as of Dec. 24, with adults accounting for 18 percent of the infected persons. The ministry has also found that the infected persons in 80 percent of the cases had not completed the series of diphtheria vaccinations.
“Adults, such as parents, relatives, peers or medical workers, who have direct contact with those who have contracted diphtheria must be vaccinated for preventative reasons,” Soedjatmiko from the Indonesian Pediatrician Association (IDAI) said on Wednesday.
Soedjatmiko also called on adults who did not undergo a complete series of vaccinations in their childhood to get vaccinated immediately.
“Mostly they do not have records of having completed immunizations during their childhood, so it is important to get vaccinated,” he said.
Similar concerns were echoed by Indonesian Doctors Associations (IDI) chairman-elect Daeng M. Faqih, who suggested that adults get revaccinated.
“Immunity will weaken overtime, [therefore] getting vaccinated, especially during an outbreak, is important to boost [adults’] antibodies,” Daeng said.
The government conducted the first phase of the outbreak response immunization (ORI) program in Jakarta, Banten and West Java on Dec. 12, following an outbreak that killed dozens of people. (nmn/ipa)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- Prabowo visits Yudhoyono in hospital