Jokowi launches Soekarno-Hatta airport train
Anton Hermansyah and Farida Susanti
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo on Tuesday inaugurated the new airport train that connects Soekarno-Hatta Airport Station in Tangerang, Banten, and Manggarai Station in South Jakarta.
Wearing a casual purple shirt and red running shoes, Jokowi arrived at the airport train station at 9:00 a.m. He was accompanied by State-Owned Enterprises (SOE) Minister Rini Mariani Soemarno, Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi and Public Works and Public Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono.
"After three years of working hard, we can finally officiate the airport train," the President said in his speech.
He said the airport train would be integrated with other public transportation such as the Greater Jakarta Commuter Line, the light rail transit (LRT) and the bus rapid transit (BRT).
Jokowi then rode the airport train from Soekarno-Hatta station to Sudirman Baru Station (BNI City) in South Jakarta. The trip took about 55 minutes.
The airport train operates 42 single-trips per day.
Services from South Jakarta’s Sudirman Baru Station starts at 3:51 a.m., with the last train departing at 9:51 p.m., as several facilities at Manggarai Station are still under construction.
From Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, trains run at at hourly intervals with the first train departing at 6:10 a.m. and the last train departing at 11:10 p.m .
Tickets are available at a flat price of Rp 70,000 (US$4.9). (bbn)
- Student allegedly paralyzed after being told to do 120 jump squats as punishment
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- China seizes 156 mammoth tusks in huge ivory haul
- S.Korean court hands former president Park another 8 years in jail
- 'Mass casualty incident' after Missouri tourist boat capsizes
- Former Hong Kong leader jailed again for misconduct
- Jambi girl imprisoned for abortion after being raped by brother
- Who is TGB, Jokowi’s strongest ally against sectarianism?