Three new airport trains to operate this year: Minister
The Jakarta Post
After the inauguration of the airport train in Jakarta by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Tuesday, the government plans to operate airport trains in three other cities – Padang in West Sumatra, Palembang in South Sumatra and Surakarta in Central Java.
Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said on Tuesday in Jakarta that the airport trains in Padang and Palembang were scheduled to be operated in May, while another one in Surakarta was expected to begin operating in November.
“PT Railink will also be the train operator. The government is the sole investor of [the three airport trains],” said Budi, referring to the subsidiary of state-owned railway operator PT Kereta Api Indonesia (KAI), which is currently also the operator of the airport train in Jakarta as reported by kompas.com.
An airport train from Kualanamu Airport in Medan was the first airport train to operate in Indonesia.
Currently, the airport train networks from Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II Airport in Palembang, Minangkabau Airport in Padang and Adi Sumarmo Airport in Surakarta are being constructed, the minister added.
The airport train operates 42 single trips per day. Services from South Jakarta’s Sudirman Baru Station start at 3:51 a.m., with the last train departing at 9:51 p.m., as several facilities at Manggarai Station are still under construction.
From Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, trains run at hourly intervals, with the first train departing at 6:10 a.m. and the last train departing at 11:10 p.m. Tickets are available at a flat price of Rp 70,000 (US$4.90). (jlm/bbn)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world