Minister supports hijab requirement for airline cabin crew to Aceh
The Jakarta Post
Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi has expressed his support for Aceh Besar Regent Mawardi Ali’s decision to require female cabin crew members of airlines to wear hijab on routes destined for provinces that observe sharia.
Sultan Iskandar Muda Airport, the main airport of Aceh province, is located in Aceh Besar regency.
“I think it's a good idea because it's part of sharia and is only in Aceh. I support it,” Budi said in Jakarta on Wednesday as reported by Antara.
Previously, Mawardi had sent letters to all general managers of airlines flying to Aceh asking them to require female cabin crew members to wear hijab.
The letters had been sent on Jan 18 and went viral on social media earlier this week.
Budi Karya, however, stressed that the regulation would only be applied in Aceh, and not in other Indonesian regions.
Meanwhile, Lion Group, which controls Lion Air, Batik Air and Wings Air, had expressed its readiness to fulfill the requirement.
Lion Group corporate communication Ramditya Handoko said each airline under the group would prepare special attire for female cabin crew members at Sultan Iskandar Muda Airport and other airports where the airlines have routes to Aceh.
“We will prepare the attire at the airports. Our crew members can change their uniforms at the airports. We respect the regulation introduced by the regional administrations,” Ramditya added, as reported by kompas.com. (bbn)
- Anger at Singapore ads offering Indonesian maids for sale
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Car hits pedestrians outside UK mosque in suspected hate crime
- Indonesia exports religious take on family planning
- Woodward's Trump book sells 1.1 million in first week
- BTS to appear on ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Makassar mother named child abuse suspect
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Record $27.5 mn settlement in NY Catholic child sex abuse case
- Instant Noodle Longform