Jokowi redeems Metallica double-LP set from KPK
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has redeemed a limited-edition boxed set of Metallica’s Master of Puppets to avoid a conflict of interest, Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) spokesperson Febri Diyansyah has said.
Jokowi, widely known to be a metalhead, received the double-vinyl album as a gift from Danish Prime Minister, Lars Løkke Rasmussen on Nov. 28, 2017 during a state visit.
The President later reported the gift to the KPK, which declared the album as part of the state inventory on Jan. 31, 2018. But Jokowi decided to pay around Rp 11 million (US$808.5) to redeem the album.
Master of Puppets is considered Metallica's seminal album, selling over 10 million copies around the world and becoming the first metal album to be listed in the US Library of Congress.
Febri said on Wednesday that Jokowi's action could set an example for other government officials when receiving gifts from their foreign counterparts.
Danish Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen and President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo pose with the two LPs in the limited-edition boxed set of Metallica’s 'Master of Puppets' on Nov. 28, 2017 at Bogor Palace. 'Master of Puppets' is considered Metallica's seminal album, selling over 10 million copies around the world and becoming the first metal album to be listed in the US Library of Congress. (Antara/Rosa Panggabean)
“This is not about the money paid, but consistent awareness of corruption from even the smallest matter,” he said.
The Metallica album was not the first state gift the President has received in connection with his reputation as a heavy metal fan. In 2013, the President received a guitar signed by Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo from the promoter of the band’s Jakarta concert. Jokowi reported the gift and handed over the bass guitar to the KPK. (gis/swd)
- Japan to offer e-visa to tourists starting April 2020
- Meikarta graft case: KPK searches residence of Lippo Group CEO James Riady
- For the sake of integrity
- IMF chief postpones Middle East trip with Saudi stop
- Indonesia’s competitiveness improves, but still well below Singapore, Malaysia
- Movie star Chow Yun-fat to give entire fortune to charity
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Arsonist sentenced to 24 years for Texas mosque burning
- Fan Bingbing spotted for first time in months, outside Beijing airport
- Lippo Group executive arrested in Meikarta bribery case