Englishman living on Tangerang riverbank after being kicked out by wife
The Jakarta Post
A 50-year-old Englishman, identified as Ian Whiteley, has reportedly been staying for months on the Angke riverbank in Tangerang, Banten, while waiting to meet his Indonesian wife.
For the last four months Ian had been trying to seek his wife, who worked in Tangerang, Central Jakarta Immigration Office's enforcement division head Muhammad Deny Firmansyah said on Monday evening.
"We have sent a letter to his wife, inviting her to come to our office tomorrow at 10 a.m. and meet her husband," Deny told The Jakarta Post.
Deny said he expected the meeting would help them settle their private matters.
Ian has been reportedly living on the riverbank following a dispute with his wife, who lives in Central Jakarta and works in Tangerang. Ian attempted to seek his wife in Tangerang and was eventually sent to the Central Jakarta Immigration Office on Sunday by officials from the Tangerang Immigration Office.
Deny said Ian was a documented foreigner and had no records of having violated Indonesian law.
Media reported that Ian was kicked out by his wife. He also claimed that he should have received monthly pension funds from his country. However, the money was sent to his wife's bank account.
- Ten diaspora restaurants set to promote Indonesian tourism
- Apple tries to win back students and teachers with low-cost iPad
- Bali-based band Navicula bassist in hospital, girlfriend dies after car accident
- Ryanair to launch flights to Ukraine from October
- Indonesia, Singapore lead deep-sea expedition to West Java
- 13 Indonesian airports join Earth Hour campaign
- Two dead as suspected IS gunman takes hostages in France
- Syahrini responds to backlash over Holocaust Memorial video
- Human-like calf stuns Gorontalo residents
- Prosecutors demand 7 years for suspect in Cikupa persecution case