Prabowo to run for president in 2019, says Rachmawati
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party deputy chairperson Rachmawati Soekarnoputri has confirmed that its chairman, Prabowo Subianto, would run again for the Indonesian presidency in 2019.
“Insya Allah [God willing], Pak Prabowo will run [for president]. Just wait and see,” said Rachmawati on Monday evening as quoted by kompas.com, after a meeting at Prabowo’s private residence on Jl. Kertanegara, South Jakarta.
Rachmawati, daughter of Indonesia’s first president Soekarno, said Prabowo would declare his candidacy soon. She added that the party was holding internal discussions on indentifying the right person to accompany Prabowo as his running mate.
Rachmawati declined to provide details on individuals who were being considered as Prabowo’s running mate. “If [Prabowo] wants to join the election, then there must be a running mate. But the name of this person is still a secret,” she said, adding that the vice presidential candidate must be able to understand and work together with Prabowo.
“It doesn’t matter whether they have a military or civilian background. The most important thing is that they are capable and can work together [with Prabowo],” said Rachmawati. (hol/ebf)
- Surfer severely mauled by shark in Australia
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Hummingbirds thrive at innovative Mexico gardens
- They played dead on the ground: Survivor recounts OPM massacre
- Prabowo answers all your burning questions in his little blue book
- Women accuse famous Brazil spiritual 'healer' of sex abuse
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- Garuda Indonesia takes passengers on trip to 1980s
- Sexual harassment in the sky: Hong Kong flight attendants fight back