Prabowo to run for president in 2019, says Rachmawati
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party deputy chairperson Rachmawati Soekarnoputri has confirmed that its chairman, Prabowo Subianto, would run again for the Indonesian presidency in 2019.
“Insya Allah [God willing], Pak Prabowo will run [for president]. Just wait and see,” said Rachmawati on Monday evening as quoted by kompas.com, after a meeting at Prabowo’s private residence on Jl. Kertanegara, South Jakarta.
Rachmawati, daughter of Indonesia’s first president Soekarno, said Prabowo would declare his candidacy soon. She added that the party was holding internal discussions on indentifying the right person to accompany Prabowo as his running mate.
Rachmawati declined to provide details on individuals who were being considered as Prabowo’s running mate. “If [Prabowo] wants to join the election, then there must be a running mate. But the name of this person is still a secret,” she said, adding that the vice presidential candidate must be able to understand and work together with Prabowo.
“It doesn’t matter whether they have a military or civilian background. The most important thing is that they are capable and can work together [with Prabowo],” said Rachmawati. (hol/ebf)
- ‘I’m just ordinary man now’: Setya collects debts from friends to pay restitutio...
- Sri Lanka train kills mother elephant, two calves
- Florence death toll jumps to 31 as flooding wreaks havoc
- Trump hits China with tariffs on another $200b in goods
- Prosecutors call for Jambi rape victim to be punished to deter abortion
- Indonesia must improve its e-government
- Indian bishop accused of raping nun steps aside as arrest calls grow
- Payment of 'uang ketok palu' is tradition, councilors admit to corruption court
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Trump defends Supreme Court pick after sex assault allegation