Prabowo to run for president in 2019, says Rachmawati
The Jakarta Post
Gerindra Party deputy chairperson Rachmawati Soekarnoputri has confirmed that its chairman, Prabowo Subianto, would run again for the Indonesian presidency in 2019.
“Insya Allah [God willing], Pak Prabowo will run [for president]. Just wait and see,” said Rachmawati on Monday evening as quoted by kompas.com, after a meeting at Prabowo’s private residence on Jl. Kertanegara, South Jakarta.
Rachmawati, daughter of Indonesia’s first president Soekarno, said Prabowo would declare his candidacy soon. She added that the party was holding internal discussions on indentifying the right person to accompany Prabowo as his running mate.
Rachmawati declined to provide details on individuals who were being considered as Prabowo’s running mate. “If [Prabowo] wants to join the election, then there must be a running mate. But the name of this person is still a secret,” she said, adding that the vice presidential candidate must be able to understand and work together with Prabowo.
“It doesn’t matter whether they have a military or civilian background. The most important thing is that they are capable and can work together [with Prabowo],” said Rachmawati. (hol/ebf)
- Obama dancing in Kenya sends world aflutter
- Russian tourist allegedly gang-raped in India
- Malaysia issues arrest warrants for ex-1MDB executives
- Thailand's cave boys wake up at home for first time in weeks
- Rapes and beatings: The torments of South Korea's young athletes
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Russian 'agent' held on charges of seeking to infiltrate US govt
- BMKG warns of high waves around Lombok
- Prabowo visits Yudhoyono in hospital