Democrats prep Agus Yudhoyono as 2019 candidate
The Jakarta Post
Democratic Party secretary-general Hinca Panjaitan has said the party is preparing its executive, Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono, to run for either president or vice president in the 2019 election.
“Political parties want their own cadres as [presidential] candidates. Hence, the Democratic Party is preparing Mas AHY,” Hinca said on Sunday as quoted by Antara, referring to Agus by his initials.
Pollsters have placed Agus, the son of former president and Democratic patron Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, among the top candidates in their latest surveys on the 2019 presidential election.
Hinca said Agus had travelled to a number of regions to promote his concepts and ideas in order to boost his electability.
The Democratic Party has not yet announced their official support for either a presidential or vice presidential candidate. It has also not hinted at which coalition it might join in next year’s elections.
“We know we can’t stand alone, but we will announce it at the right time,” said Hinca.
Last month following his meeting with the President, Agus said there was a possibility that the Democratic Party would endorse President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo as a presidential candidate in the 2019 election.
On the other hand, the party claimed it was giving serious consideration to approaching other political parties to form a third alliance to back a candidate other than the current contenders, President Jokowi and Gerindra Party chairman Prabowo Subianto. (kuk/ebf)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- 'Cek Toko Sebelah' to be screened in Chinese cinemas
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- US court rules for Colorado 'intersex' veteran denied passport
- US sanctions Chinese military unit for buying Russian jets, missiles
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Groups welcome Jokowi’s palm plantation moratorium
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- Jokowi imposes moratorium on palm oil plantations