Indonesia hosts 15th Junior Artistic Gymnastics Asian Championships
The Jakarta Post
The 15th Junior Artistic Gymnastics Asian Championships officially opened on Wednesday with Indonesia hosting the event at Istora Senayan in Jakarta until Saturday.
The opening ceremony was attended by Youth and Sports Minister Imam Nahrawi, Indonesian Asian Games Organizing Committee (INASGOC) chief Erick Thohir and Indonesian Gymnastics Association (Persani) deputy chairwoman Ita Yuliati.
“Congratulation to Persani. I really hope the competition will run smoothly as it is a test event for the upcoming 18th Asian Games [in August and September],” said Imam in his speech, according to a statement released by the organizers. “If you find any technical glitches, please convey them directly to the sports minister, INASGOC or Persani.”
Besides being used as a test event for the Games, the competition is also a qualifier for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games, which will be held in Buenos Aires in October.
Gymnasts from 20 countries are participating in the event, which features eight competition categories for boys and six for girls. The host country is being represented by five boys and five girls.
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Muslim inmates fed pork during Ramadhan: Activists
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- BREAKING: Indonesia passes stronger antiterrorism law
- Costly holiday
- Indonesia shakes off nerves for Thomas Cup semifinal against China
- Government is representation of God on earth: State Palace official