Indonesia hosts 15th Junior Artistic Gymnastics Asian Championships
The Jakarta Post
The 15th Junior Artistic Gymnastics Asian Championships officially opened on Wednesday with Indonesia hosting the event at Istora Senayan in Jakarta until Saturday.
The opening ceremony was attended by Youth and Sports Minister Imam Nahrawi, Indonesian Asian Games Organizing Committee (INASGOC) chief Erick Thohir and Indonesian Gymnastics Association (Persani) deputy chairwoman Ita Yuliati.
“Congratulation to Persani. I really hope the competition will run smoothly as it is a test event for the upcoming 18th Asian Games [in August and September],” said Imam in his speech, according to a statement released by the organizers. “If you find any technical glitches, please convey them directly to the sports minister, INASGOC or Persani.”
Besides being used as a test event for the Games, the competition is also a qualifier for the 2018 Youth Olympic Games, which will be held in Buenos Aires in October.
Gymnasts from 20 countries are participating in the event, which features eight competition categories for boys and six for girls. The host country is being represented by five boys and five girls.
- Sony's new super-fast cameras are winning over the pros
- Iran unveils next generation missile: Media
- Trump endorses call for Harley-Davidson boycott
- S. Korean woman given rare jail term for spycam crime
- A-Pink to perform in Jakarta in September
- China designs spacecraft to extend lifespan of satellites
- Former S. Korea presidential hopeful acquitted in sex abuse case
- Two Austrians killed in French Alps glider crash: Official
- Who is Ma’ruf Amin, Jokowi’s running mate?
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world