Daily mass 'iftar' events at 223 Jakarta community units during Ramadhan
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta Administration plans to hold mass iftar (breaking of the fast) events starting in June, in 223 community units (RW), funded and organized by the administration and private citizens.
“Both the administration and citizens will work together for the iftar events, as well as for the funding,” Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said on Tuesday as reported by Warta Kota.
Anies said that NGO Dompet Dhuafa and the Aksi Cepat Tanggap (ACT) foundation would receive any donations from citizens who wanted to participate in the iftar events.
“For citizens who want to participate in preparing the iftar events, ACT and Dompet Dhuafa will be the channel for them. Citizens can send donations to a bank account set up by ACT and Dompet Dhuafa, which will be distributed as iftar meals for residents. The administration will also provide some of the funding,” Anies said.
ACT vice president Imam Akbari said that Ramadhan was a time to help those in need.
“We want citizens to help each other, so we will facilitate anyone who wants to collaborate with us during the Ramadhan fasting month. We will start with iftar events, which some may regard as trivial, but it is actually precious for some of our friends,” he said.
Imam said that ACT also accepted food donations, whether raw or cooked, or volunteers who wanted to help preparing the iftar meals. (ami)
- List of moderate Islamic preachers needed: Scholar
- US warns Syria of 'firm' action over southern offensive
- Colombia to become first Latin American NATO 'global partner'
- Pair of Japanese premium melons sell for record $29,300
- New Terrorism Law no silver bullet, says rights researcher
- Out of South Africa, reminiscing the indelible Eden
- Prisoners evacuated from flooded Pekalongan Penitentiary
- Police shut down illegal gold mines in Riau
- Dutch, Australia say Russia behind downing MH17
- France arrests two spies for passing secrets to China