Makassar to rerun election in 2020 after blank box victory
The Jakarta Post
The General Elections Commission (KPU) in Makassar, South Sulawesi, will rerun the election for Makassar mayor and deputy mayor in 2020 after a blank box won the popular vote.
Unopposed candidates Munafri Arifuddin and Andi Rachmatika Dewi only received 47 percent of the vote, which was lower than the 50 percent threshold, while a blank box on the ballot paper won 53 percent, with more than 300,000 voters opting for it.
Munafri is Aksa Mahmud's son-in-law. Aksa, the founder of Bosowa Corp., is Vice President Jusuf Kalla's brother-in-law.
“The final results of the recapitulation of the vote means that there will be a re-election,” said KPU Commissioner Abdullah Manshur in Makassar.
The decision was made on Friday midnight after a two-day recount that was marred by walkouts and protests by supporters of Munafri-Rachmatika.
Incumbent mayor Mohammad Ramdhan Pomanto and Indira Mulyasari Paramastuti were disqualified from running in April after the Supreme Court found them guilty of violating Article 71 in the 2016 Regional Elections Law. Ramdhan, who will continue to serve as mayor until 2019, had distributed nearly 6,000 free smartphones for neighborhood and community unit heads prior to the election.
Meanwhile, the recapitulation of votes for governor and deputy governor of South Sulawesi continues sluggishly as neither the regency nor city election commissions have announced their results. A previous count showed Nurdin Abdullah and Andi Sudirman Sulaiman had received the highest votes. (nor)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- Huawei gives free power banks to people queuing for new iPhone
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?