Post-Islamism what? Sandiaga confused by PKS campaign slogan
The Jakarta Post
Vice presidential candidate and businessman Sandiaga Uno admitted that he had no clue what the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) was talking about when it portrayed him as a santri di era pos-Islamisme (a pious Muslim in the era of post-Islamism).
In an apparent attempt to calm its constituents after presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto unexpectedly picked Sandiaga and not a senior PKS member as his running mate, the Islam-based party was quick to label Sandiaga, who attended a Catholic school, a santri (orthodox Muslim) as opposed to abangan (nominal Muslim).
“That was the first time I heard the term [post-Islamism], as I never attended a pesantren [Islamic boarding school],” he said during a show on Kompas TV on Wednesday night, referring to the night of his nomination.
The term post-Islamism is actually a term coined by Iranian sociologist Asef Bayat to roughly describe a new generation of Muslims, young and affluent, who easily blend Islamic values and popular culture.
The PKS, in a desperate attempt to sell the Prabowo-Sandiaga pair as a nationalist-religious ticket, believes that Sandiaga is the poster boy of post-Islamism in Indonesia. Such a move was probably triggered by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s decision to name Ma’ruf Amin, arguably the most influential cleric in the country, as his running mate.
But Sandiaga said he was confused by the term, although he claimed that he had worked with pengusaha santri (Muslim businessmen) under Nahdlatul Ulama.
He said: “When [PKS leader] Pak Sohibul Iman mentioned the term, I wondered what it was.” (ahw)
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- Indonesia to free Bali Nine drug smuggler Lawrence: Official
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route