Police drop charges against alleged hit and run motorist in West Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The police have decided to drop charges against a motorist who hit motorcyclists and then had his car destroyed by mob in Mangga Besar, West Jakarta, opting instead to send him to a drug rehabilitation center.
The driver, identified as Franky, was reportedly found to be under the influence of drugs at the time of the incident on Thursday.
“We’ve named him a drug user and decided he needs rehabilitation,” Tamansari Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Rully Indra said on Monday, as quoted by kompas.com.
Before the incident, Franky consumed crystal methamphetamine in the parking lot of Lokasari commercial district in Mangga Besar at 10 a.m., according to Franky’s report to the police.
Under the influence of the drug, he drove his car to Jl. Tamansari VII and hit a motorcycle. He then accelerated and entered a Transjakarta bus lane, hitting another motorcycle and a road divider. After the collision, his car was attacked by a mob.
Rully said the hit and run case had been dropped because the motorcyclists did not want to proceed with the legal process.
"We can’t proceed with the case because there were no casualties or injured victims,” Rully said, "There were only scratches on the vehicles.”
The police are, however, proceeding with prosecution against the mob members. Five people have been named suspects, while the police are still looking for two other alleged perpetrators. (stu)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- No nutrients lost in rendang despite long cooking period, research says
- Bali authority denies report on JE viral infection outbreak
- Basarnas ends search for Lion Air crash victims
- Anti-LGBT sentiment rises ahead of elections
- Lion Air crash: 'I’m sure dad could swim his way out and survive the crash'
- Singapore Airlines to move to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 3
- When Jokowi’s ‘other women’ let their hair down
- Garuda to reopen Jakarta-London route