City to install mobile pumps to curb flooding in East Jakarta
The Jakarta Post
The East Jakarta Water Resource Agency has said it will install two mobile water pumps in the Cakung River to alleviate flooding in Rawa Terate, East Jakarta. The pumps are capable of absorbing 200 liters of water per second.
“We’ll work with the [Jakarta Water Resource] agency and the BBWSCC [Ciliwung-Cisadane Flood Control Office] before installing the pumps at the sluice gate,” said the agency's head, Mustajab, as quoted by kompas.com on Monday.
Flooding struck neighborhood unit (RT) 010 neighborhood unit, community unit (RW) 005 in Rawa Terate after heavy rain on Monday, inundating 183 houses.
Cakung district head Alamsah said flooding in Rawa Terate occurred every year. According to Alamsah, the area was a swamp that was used as a water reservoir.
“The ground level of the residential area is low. Years ago, it was used as a rainwater reservoir,” he said.
He called on the city administration to help him find a long-term solution by, for example, building a dam and sluice gate in the Cakung River so that flooding could be prevented in the future.
“We also wish for a water pump so that when there’s heavy rain, the water won't flow here as much,” he added. (vla)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says