Aceh setting itself up as Muslim-friendly destination for tourists
Ni Nyoman Wira
The Jakarta Post
Aceh is set to hold a series of regional events throughout the year under its “Light of Aceh” campaign.
Comprising both international and national-level events, the campaign aims to support Aceh as a Muslim-friendly destination and revive the region's religious values to attract travelers.
From late March onwards, the Aceh Culture and Tourism Agency has scheduled a total of 34 events such as the Maulid Raya in Banda Aceh, the Aceh Dirt Bike Adventure in April in Bener Meriah regency, the Aceh Islamic Fashion Parade in Banda Aceh in May, the Banda Aceh coffee and culinary festivals in August and Sail Sabang in November.
The agency’s head, Reza Fahlevi, said “Light of Aceh” was part of the Tourism Ministry's “Wonderful Indonesia” program.
The events listed in the “Light of Aceh” campaign. (disbudpar.acehprov.go.id/File)
“The number of local and foreign tourists to Aceh is increasing every year,” he said in a press release, adding that the region welcomed more than 2 million travelers last year, consisting of 76,452 foreign and 2,077,797 domestic visitors.
“Hopefully, this campaign will help build a positive image about Aceh and also promote its potential for a diverse culture,” said Reza.
As part of the campaign, the agency will promote various trip packages through social media and Android apps.
An official tourist website is currently being developed. (kes)
- Why foreigners play American superheroes and that's (mostly) fine
- Wreaths for Ahok reach thousand
- Anies' victory raises Muslim dignity in politics: PKS
- 7-Eleven sold as business declines
- Indonesian militants can ‘easily’ enter Philippines
- Sandiaga to provide entrepreneurship program for thugs
- Nicki Minaj features Indonesian designer’s work in latest music video
- Role of women seen as vital to resisting Islamic extremism
- As KPK delves into BLBI, Jokowi says it was not Megawati's fault
- Nigerian man shot dead in drugs bust