Welcome to Sumatra, Indonesia's next-best surfing destination
The Jakarta Post
When it comes to the best places for surfing in Indonesia, Bali has long topped the list, but next in line is Kampar River in Riau, West Sumatra.
Located on the equator, this river is a natural wonder of Indonesia; its waves can reach a height of up to six meters and a length of 300 meters.
Another good area for surfing, though less known, is the western coast of Lampung, which has a coastline of 210 km. There are 21 surfing spots on this coast, including Ujung Bopur, Karang Nyimbor, Way Jambu, Mandiri beach, Labuhun Jukung and Tanjung Setia beach.
“Waves at Tanjung Setia beach are said to be the best ones in the world, the place is on par with Hawaii,” said West Pesisir regent Agus Istiqlal.
Istiqlal said 16,400 overseas tourists had come to West Pesisir regency in 2016, roughly double the 8.866 tourists counted in 2015.
“The highest number of visitors are from Australia with 5,524 tourists, followed by Spain, France, Japan, Korea and other countries. This year, I hope we can double the numbers,” he added.
Recently, the international surfing competition Krui Pro 2017 was held at Tanjung Setia beach and joined by 53 overseas surfers. Indonesia sent a team of 18 surfers, 11 men and seven women: Oney Anwar, Darma Putra, Dylan Longbottom, Mustafa Jekson, Pepen Hendrik, I Nyoman Artana, I Komang Hermawan, Dede Suryana, I Made Widiarta, Raditya Rondi, Tipi Jabrik, Janiati Hansel, Yasinyar Gea, Ni Kadek Dyah Rahayu Dewi, Kailani Johnson, Taina Izquierdo, Puanani Johnson and Salini Rengganis. (asw)
- Ahok faces threats in Cipinang prison: Warden
- Two Bali foreign inmates caught in Timor Leste
- Prosecutors in e-ID case demand former Home Ministry officials be jailed
- How embargo affects Qatar investment in Indonesia
- Batam, Yokohama to collaborate in urban development projects
- Facebook gets Indonesia nod for local unit
- Bank Indonesia sets chip technology standard for ATMs, debit cards
- East Jakarta robbery gang well managed: Police
- Beijing's new mega airport will challenge Air China's dominance
- Most crimes in Jakarta committed by youngsters: Research