Welcome to Sumatra, Indonesia's next-best surfing destination
The Jakarta Post
When it comes to the best places for surfing in Indonesia, Bali has long topped the list, but next in line is Kampar River in Riau, West Sumatra.
Located on the equator, this river is a natural wonder of Indonesia; its waves can reach a height of up to six meters and a length of 300 meters.
Another good area for surfing, though less known, is the western coast of Lampung, which has a coastline of 210 km. There are 21 surfing spots on this coast, including Ujung Bopur, Karang Nyimbor, Way Jambu, Mandiri beach, Labuhun Jukung and Tanjung Setia beach.
“Waves at Tanjung Setia beach are said to be the best ones in the world, the place is on par with Hawaii,” said West Pesisir regent Agus Istiqlal.
Istiqlal said 16,400 overseas tourists had come to West Pesisir regency in 2016, roughly double the 8.866 tourists counted in 2015.
“The highest number of visitors are from Australia with 5,524 tourists, followed by Spain, France, Japan, Korea and other countries. This year, I hope we can double the numbers,” he added.
Recently, the international surfing competition Krui Pro 2017 was held at Tanjung Setia beach and joined by 53 overseas surfers. Indonesia sent a team of 18 surfers, 11 men and seven women: Oney Anwar, Darma Putra, Dylan Longbottom, Mustafa Jekson, Pepen Hendrik, I Nyoman Artana, I Komang Hermawan, Dede Suryana, I Made Widiarta, Raditya Rondi, Tipi Jabrik, Janiati Hansel, Yasinyar Gea, Ni Kadek Dyah Rahayu Dewi, Kailani Johnson, Taina Izquierdo, Puanani Johnson and Salini Rengganis. (asw)
- Anies wants FPI to improve its image
- Delayed abortion regulation denies sexual abuse victims’ rights: Critics
- Tourist boat capsizes in Thousand Islands
- Ministry to prioritize infrastructure in four sectors in 2018
- Sports ministers of Indonesia, Malaysia settle flag incident
- Bekasi bird shop owner suspected of avian flu infection
- Korean national named suspect in fatal car crash
- Apple under pressure to dazzle as market slows
- Lake Toba to host Lake Toba Charm Carnival 2017
- BNI launches special account for disadvantaged children