Singapore ties with Germany for most powerful passport in the world
Chew Hui Min
The Straits Times
For the first time, Singapore is tied with Germany as the country with the most powerful passport in an international ranking.
Holders of the Singapore passport can now get visa-on-arrival in Ukraine for up to 15 days, upping the Republic's score by one to 159, Arton Capital said in a press release on Tuesday (April 18).
Singapore was second before this change.
Germany still has the edge for visa-free free travel, it said. Germans can travel to 125 countries without a visa, holders of the Singapore passport, 122.
But Singapore beats Germany with a visa-on-arrival score of 37 to 34. The result - a tie.
Read also: World’s best country for travel announced
"Singaporeans can rejoice that their passport offers them first-class global mobility," said Arton Capital.
The Passport Index compares the passports of 193 United Nations member countries and six territories.
Singapore was fourth this year in the Visa Restrictions Index, another ranking of travel freedom which uses a different way of calculating how "powerful" a passport is.
Germany also tops this table published by Henley & Partners. It has visa-free access to 176 countries out of a possible 218, according to this index.
The Visa Restrictions Index says Singapore passport holders enjoy visa-free access to 173 countries.
In both tables, Singapore is the highest-ranked Asian country.
The Global Passport Power Rank 2017(Arton Capital via The Straits Times/File)
- Tito suspects JAD terror group behind N. Sumatra police post attacks
- Political, polygamy messages take center stage in some Idul Fitri speeches
- World Bank lauds Indonesia’s fiscal framework
- Sri Mulyani marks Idul Fitri with slip of tongue
- GNPF-MUI seeks to ease tension with President during Idul Fitri meet
- In Malang, church allows Muslims to use lawn for Idul Fitri prayers
- Jakarta Cathedral cancels three morning masses for Idul Fitri prayer
- MPR speaker entertains guests with political jokes, conversation
- Indonesia condemns Mecca suicide bomb attempt
- Locals thrilled to share Idul Fitri with Jokowi's mother