National banks support tourism efforts in Belitung
The Jakarta Post
On April 28, a number of youngsters from Kelapa Kampit district in East Belitung took part in a one-month English language program. The program was the result of a partnership between youth organization Kelapa Kampit District Karang Taruna and the ASEAN Community Youth Center.
“This program aims to support tourism at the Gunong Kik Karak Geopark in East Belitung,” said Larasati, the Tourism Ministry’s head of the Tanjung Kelayang 10 Priority Destinations team.
Belitung also received support from national banks such as Bank Central Asia (BCA), which sent its corporate social responsibility (CSR) team to work with communities to help develop the geopark.
“Apart from training, [the funding from] BCA’s CSR was used for facilities in the geosite,” Larasati said.
Meanwhile, the Indonesian State Bank (BNI) as part of their effort to help local communities boost tourism held a meeting with business practitioners from tourist villages in Belitung.
Moreover, in an effort to include Belitung in the UNESCO Global Geoparks list, the Geopark Belitung Agency recently attended the Langkawi Conference in Malaysia on May 8 to 12. (asw)
- Ahok, sex, and a ghost story of democracy
- BREAKING NEWS: Explosions hit East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- BREAKING NEWS: Police say explosions a suicide bombing
- Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal
- Portrait of Myanmar's 'Buddhist Bin Laden' chills Cannes
- EDITORIAL: In step with the Nazis?
- Ahok resigns as Jakarta governor
- Officers hit by suicide bomb guarding pre-Ramadhan parade: Police