Indonesia boasts better growth than Thailand in foreign tourist numbers
The Jakarta Post
Thailand reportedly welcomed 12.01 million foreign tourists in the first quarter of 2017, a slight increase of 2.91 percent from the same period last year, according to data from the Thailand Ministry of Tourism and Sports.
In April, the country greeted 2.82 million foreign tourists, an increase of 6.97 percent from 2016, which saw an influx of 2.64 million tourists.
Read also: Five must-visit places in Vietnam
Interestingly, Thailand recorded a smaller number of Chinese tourists in the first quarter of 2017. The Chinese segment fell by 7.5 percent.
More Russian tourists reportedly visited the country. The ministry states that 595,618 Russians visited the country in the first quarter of 2017, compared to 443,346 visitors during the same period the year before.
Tourist numbers from India also increased, from 94,012 to 107,451.
Thailand wants to attract at least 60 million foreign visitors by 2030.
Meanwhile, data from the Central Statistics Agency (BPS) shows that Indonesia welcomed 4.2 million foreign tourists in the January – April 2017 period, an increase of 19.34 percent from last year's figure.
In April, the number of foreign visitors reached 1.14 million, a 26.75 percent increase from April last year.
In terms of Chinese tourists, the archipelago greeted 165,400 visitors throughout April, also up from last year's number of 110,270.
As for tourists from India, some 40,890 visited the archipelago in April 2017, compared to 31,030 during the same month last year. (kes)
- Obama arrives in Bali
- Media mogul declared intimidation suspect
- Indonesia's Jangkrik field’s first LNG cargo delivered
- Australia sends spy planes to south Philippines
- Former US president Obama to arrive on Bali this afternoon
- Australian citizen denied entry to Bali due to criminal record
- Property developer sees potential to build office buildings for startups in Bali
- Indonesia's upstream projects proposed for strategic project list
- No extravagant ceremony to welcome Obama: Official
- Online drivers choose to stay in Jakarta to earn more cash