Lake Sentani Festival held for 10th time
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
The Lake Sentani Festival is said to be a unique lake festival in Indonesia since it has been consistently held every year for 10 years.
"Compared to other lake festivals in Indonesia, this one is the most consistent; it has been going on for 10 years consecutively. Reports from foreign media also mention this festival as the most attractive, original and unique," said Tourism Ministry's deputy assistant of government business development, Tasbir, during the festival's opening day in Kalkhote, Jayapura, Papua, on Monday.
Themed Cipta Harmoni Budaya (Creating a Harmonious Culture), this year's festival is slated to last until June 23 and will be joined by participants from 19 districts in Jayapura regency.
Read also: Samosir to host Tobatak Music Festival 2017
Meanwhile, Papuan Governor Lukas Enembe praised the lake as not only beautiful but also offering unique tourism potential. "The locals could build cottages in the hills surrounding the lake where tourists could stay to enjoy its breathtaking nature."
The festival is set to feature various examples of local culture, such as boat attractions, traditional dances, including the Isosolo Dance that is performed on a boat, a culinary festival and an archipelago cultural performances presented by communities across Jayapura. (kes)
- Ahok faces threats in Cipinang prison: Warden
- Prosecutors in e-ID case demand former Home Ministry officials be jailed
- Two Bali foreign inmates caught in Timor Leste
- How embargo affects Qatar investment in Indonesia
- Beijing's new mega airport will challenge Air China's dominance
- House inquiry team to meet National Police to ‘straighten things out’
- Bank Indonesia sets chip technology standard for ATMs, debit cards
- East Jakarta robbery gang well managed: Police
- Facebook gets Indonesia nod for local unit
- Police question witnesses following Kerobokan prison escape