Lake Sentani Festival held for 10th time
Nethy Dharma Somba
The Jakarta Post
The Lake Sentani Festival is said to be a unique lake festival in Indonesia since it has been consistently held every year for 10 years.
"Compared to other lake festivals in Indonesia, this one is the most consistent; it has been going on for 10 years consecutively. Reports from foreign media also mention this festival as the most attractive, original and unique," said Tourism Ministry's deputy assistant of government business development, Tasbir, during the festival's opening day in Kalkhote, Jayapura, Papua, on Monday.
Themed Cipta Harmoni Budaya (Creating a Harmonious Culture), this year's festival is slated to last until June 23 and will be joined by participants from 19 districts in Jayapura regency.
Read also: Samosir to host Tobatak Music Festival 2017
Meanwhile, Papuan Governor Lukas Enembe praised the lake as not only beautiful but also offering unique tourism potential. "The locals could build cottages in the hills surrounding the lake where tourists could stay to enjoy its breathtaking nature."
The festival is set to feature various examples of local culture, such as boat attractions, traditional dances, including the Isosolo Dance that is performed on a boat, a culinary festival and an archipelago cultural performances presented by communities across Jayapura. (kes)
- Indonesia Instagram's biggest market in Asia Pacific
- Jakarta Police welcome new chief
- Locals bulldoze orangutan conservation forest area in East Kalimantan
- World Bank to offer blended financing for Indonesia
- World Bank advises Indonesia to push for reforms
- Ubud listed among 'world's top 15 cities'
- Penyengat Island to focus on religious tourism
- 'Interest groups have played with Novel's case': Activist
- The best airport in the world just got better
- Freeport to issue new shares to meet divestment requirement