Malang Flower Carnival 2017 highlights exotic archipelago flowers
The city of Malang in East Java recently hosted Malang Flower Carnival (MFC) 2017 throughout Jl. Ijen on Sunday.
Themed “The Exoticism of Archipelago Flowers,” the event was supported by the Tourism Ministry and successfully joined by 90 percent more participants than the previous year.
“The number of participants reached 214 people, an increase of 90 percent from the previous year that had 115 participants,” said MFC chairman Agus Sunandar.
The participants came from different cities and provinces in East Java, such as Banyuwangi, Jember, Blitar, Pasuruan, Malang, Batu, Surabaya, Probolinggo, Bondowoso, Kediri and Nganjuk.
Additionally, last year’s event attracted more than 5,000 visitors.
The event featured a carnival costume competition divided into two categories: Category A for elementary and middle school students and category B for high school students and the public.
Among the competition's criteria were originality, glamorous, huge in dimension and used at least 20 percent of flower decoration.
“Winners from previous years are not allowed to participate in the competition again however they are allowed to take part in the grand show parade,” said Agus.
Six winners would be chosen from each category with one additional winner named at the Best Performer. These 13 winners would bring home a total cash prize of Rp 40 million (US$3,029).
Due to its success, MFC has been chosen by the Tourism Ministry to represent Indonesia at the international tourism and cultural event IFTM Top Resa Paris in Parc des Expositions Porte de Versailles, Paris, on Sept. 25. (kes)
- Popular tourist sites in Bali safe amid tremors around Mount Agung
- Entrepreneur wants to put Indonesia on the world technology map
- 'Super malaria' spreading through SE Asia, poses global threat
- Bill Gates expresses regret over ‘Control+Alt+Delete’ button
- Court dismisses KPK’s objection in Setya’s pretrial hearing
- Mamma Mia! British star Colin Firth is now Italian
- Tourism minister officiates new diving center in Tanjung Lesung
- Car Free Day ineffective in reducing air pollution: Committee
- Travel fair to boost Garuda’s business
- Supermodel reunion at blockbuster Versace tribute in Milan