Sawahlunto celebrates 129th anniversary with wayang festival
Thousands of people celebrated the 129th anniversary of Sawahlunto city in West Sumatra by attending the 5th Archipelago Wayang Festival held on Nov. 9 to 11.
The festival featured performances of Wayang Ajen supported by the Tourism Ministry, young female puppet master Kanastren Nareswara Darmanasti from Solo and Wayang Mbah Seoro, Sawahlunto’s shadow puppets.
Other than wayang, the festival also presented Reog Gamelan, Campur Sari, Keroncong and Kuda Kepang performances.
Archipelago Wayang Festival 2017 event drafter Yogi Andika H said the festival aimed to promote Sawahlunto as a leading destination in West Sumatra, “As well as appreciating the fact that UNESCO has designated Indonesian wayang as a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity,” told Yogi.
Moreover, Sawahlunto Mayor Ali Yusuf said that through this event, the city administration wanted to make the local culture the main appeal of Sawahlunto tourism and to educate the young generation through wayang. (kes)
- PLN has signed contracts for power plants to generate 31,000 MW
- Anies, Sandiaga leave town
- Hundreds of residents escorted out of besieged Papuan villages
- Journalist named suspect over traffic accident involving Setya Novanto
- Victoria's Secret gala hits snag in China as model pulls out
- Pertamina says fuel prices need to be increased
- Jakarta least tolerant city in Indonesia: human rights group
- Paint thinner factory catches fire, no fatalities reported
- Album Review: 'Reputation' by Taylor Swift
- 'Despacito' sweeps Latin Grammys -- and heads to Asia