Sawahlunto celebrates 129th anniversary with wayang festival
Thousands of people celebrated the 129th anniversary of Sawahlunto city in West Sumatra by attending the 5th Archipelago Wayang Festival held on Nov. 9 to 11.
The festival featured performances of Wayang Ajen supported by the Tourism Ministry, young female puppet master Kanastren Nareswara Darmanasti from Solo and Wayang Mbah Seoro, Sawahlunto’s shadow puppets.
Other than wayang, the festival also presented Reog Gamelan, Campur Sari, Keroncong and Kuda Kepang performances.
Archipelago Wayang Festival 2017 event drafter Yogi Andika H said the festival aimed to promote Sawahlunto as a leading destination in West Sumatra, “As well as appreciating the fact that UNESCO has designated Indonesian wayang as a Masterpiece of Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity,” told Yogi.
Moreover, Sawahlunto Mayor Ali Yusuf said that through this event, the city administration wanted to make the local culture the main appeal of Sawahlunto tourism and to educate the young generation through wayang. (kes)
- Chicken traders to go on strike in Bandung as price increases
- Jakarta designates lane for motorcycles
- Jakarta urged to manage traffic ahead of Asian Games
- 'Millennial bravery' and taking the fight against corruption online
- Commentary: 'Minor reshuffle' and Jokowi's own political survival
- Indonesia plans to export LNG to Pakistan, Bangladesh
- Anies launches first housing project with zero down payment
- Turkey starts lifting stricken plane from cliff
- Jakarta hospitals face perennial problems
- Malaysian plane scare as flight diverted to Alice Springs