Labschool junior high school wins top award at folk dance festival in Poland
The Jakarta Post
Labsky, a dance group representing Labschool junior high school in Kebayoran, Jakarta, has won the grand prix at an international festival held in Gorzow Wielkopolski, Poland. The group also won a cash prize at the Miedzynarodowy Festival Tanca – Folk Przystan, meaning International Dance Festival – Folk Harbor.
Competing with 10 groups representing 10 countries including the Czech Republic, Malaysia and Colombia, 28 Labsky dancers presented the traditional Saman dance from Aceh.
The precision and dynamics of the Saman dance drew great applause from the audience. The dancers, ninth grade students who had just passed their yearend exams, were reported by Tempo.co to have completed 20 rehearsal days prior to the festival.
The festival, which was held from June 23-30, was filled with activities such as concerts and presentations in nearby towns, with the competitive concert “Dance Presentations” held on June 27 and included parties and a bonfire according to the schedule, the winners were announced on Friday, June 29.
Following Labsky in top position, the other top-five dance groups were Shalkyma (Kazakhstan), Pienupite and Dzismeite (Latvia), Folklorni Studio Buchlovice (Czech Republic) and Haskovo (Bulgaria). (mut)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?