TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Ultra-micro financing combats poverty

  • Windraty Ariane Siallagan

    -

Jakarta   /   Tue, July 10, 2018   /  01:44 pm
Ultra-micro financing combats poverty Sulis, 30, rakes the brown sugar to be packed into 50-kg sacks in a home industry in Genengan village in East Java. (JP/Aman Rochman)

The ultra-micro financing (UMi) credit program has given a glimmer of hope in the government’s efforts to reduce extreme poverty since its launch in the second half of last year.

This year, the government increased the budget for the UMi by 65 percent to Rp 2.5 trillion, from Rp 1.5 trillion in 2017. 

The UMi is not the first credit program introduced by the government that aims to help the poor. But not all credit programs have been effective in helping micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs). Until the end of 2015, the number of MSMEs in Indonesia was around 61.6 million. 

However, only 28.5 percent of them had gained access to funding, leaving the remaining 71.5 percent or around 44 million MSMEs unable to obtain financing. On account of rigid requirements, ultra-micro business owners are unable to get credit from banks....



Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.