TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Idle oil and gas projects risk losing licenses, Bahlil warns

The energy minister has taken an "all stick, no carrot" strategy to pressure firms into start pumping oil and gas from stalled projects, threatening hundreds of wells with the prospect of losing their permits.

Ni Made Tasyarani (The Jakarta Post)
Premium
Jakarta
Mon, February 16, 2026 Published on Feb. 16, 2026 Published on 2026-02-16T12:52:05+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
The sun sets beyond an oil and gas rig operated by Saka Energi Muriah Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of state gas company PGN, in the Kepodang Field of the Muriah Block off Semarang, Central Java, in this undated handout photo. The sun sets beyond an oil and gas rig operated by Saka Energi Muriah Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of state gas company PGN, in the Kepodang Field of the Muriah Block off Semarang, Central Java, in this undated handout photo. (SKK Migas/SKK Migas.)

E

nergy and Mineral Resources Minister Bahlil Lahadalia is putting pressure on oil and gas producers to make progress on stalled projects as he warned that hundreds of abandoned areas stood to lose their operating licenses.

“There are 301 working areas that have been explored but have yet to commence [operations]. We are now giving [the concession holders] an ultimatum. If they don’t start operating, we will revoke their licenses,” Bahlil told a panel discussion during the Indonesia Economic Outlook 2026 on Friday at the Wisma Danantara Indonesia, the South Jakarta headquarters of state asset fund Danantara.

Bahlil remarked that the government had previously tried a similar approach with investors, threatening them with ultimatums to push them to realize their investments.

He cited as an example the gas-rich Masela Block managed by Japanese oil and gas giant Inpex, noting that it showed little progress over its 26-year concession.

“However, after they received the ‘love letter’, alhamdulillah [praise be to God], now the investment of around US$18 billion has begun. So I think this is what we will do going forward,” the minister said.

The country has experienced a long-term decline in oil production since nationwide output peaked at 1.5-1.6 million barrels per day (mbpd) in 1996-1997, gradually falling thereafter to 580,000 barrels per day (bpd) in 2024. Meanwhile, the government’s oil lifting targets have regularly gone unmet since 2016.

The Jakarta Post - Newsletter Icon

Prospects

Every Monday

With exclusive interviews and in-depth coverage of the region's most pressing business issues, "Prospects" is the go-to source for staying ahead of the curve in Indonesia's rapidly evolving business landscape.

By registering, you agree with The Jakarta Post's

Thank You

for signing up our newsletter!

Please check your email for your newsletter subscription.

View More Newsletter

However, Bahlil noted that realized production of 605,300 bpd in 2025 marginally surpassed that year’s budget target of 605,000 bpd, marking the first time the national lifting target had been met in nearly a decade.

to Read Full Story

  • Unlimited access to our web and app content
  • e-Post daily digital newspaper
  • No advertisements, no interruptions
  • Privileged access to our events and programs
  • Subscription to our newsletters
or

Purchase access to this article for

We accept

TJP - Visa
TJP - Mastercard
TJP - GoPay

Redirecting you to payment page

Pay per article

Idle oil and gas projects risk losing licenses, Bahlil warns

Rp 35,000 / article

1
Create your free account
By proceeding, you consent to the revised Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.
Already have an account?

2
  • Palmerat Barat No. 142-143
  • Central Jakarta
  • DKI Jakarta
  • Indonesia
  • 10270
  • +6283816779933
2
Total Rp 35,000

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.