Can't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsCan't find what you're looking for?
View all search resultsAs recovery efforts continue, the government has prepared a special disaster education curriculum to be implemented in three phases over the next four years, as well as services to aid in the psychological recovery of affected residents, including students and teachers.
A group of soldiers assist in a post-disaster cleanup operation on Jan. 1, 2026, at SDN 9 Kebayakan state elementary school in Central Aceh, Aceh. Most schools across the province, as well as in North Sumatra and West Sumatra, are expected to reopen on Jan. 5 for the second semester following the severe floods and landslides in November 2025 triggered by Tropical Cyclone Senyar. (Antara/Irwansyah Putra)
ost schools in disaster-affected regions across northern Sumatra are set to resume learning activities on Monday, according to the government, which has prepared an emergency curriculum and psychological support to help children return to the classroom.
Recovery efforts continue in the provinces of Aceh, North Sumatra and West Sumatra, where authorities are focusing on repairing and rebuilding damaged houses and public facilities, including schools, following the flooding and landslides that struck in late November due to Tropical Cyclone Senyar.
Around 3,500 of the 4,149 schools damaged across the three provinces, or 85 percent, would be ready to reopen on Jan. 5 for the second semester of the 2025-2026 academic year, the Elementary and Secondary Education Ministry announced at a press briefing on Dec. 30.
Post-disaster cleanup operations were continuing at 587 schools, while tents had been erected at 54 other schools to serve as emergency classrooms, the ministry said.
Learning activities would be adjusted to local conditions, said schools minister Abdul Mu’ti, who stressed the importance of upholding citizens’ right to education, even during disaster recovery.
The ministry has distributed hundreds of temporary classrooms and tents to affected schools, along with thousands of learning kits and textbooks, as well as disbursed Rp 25.9 billion (US$1.5 million) for school operations and Rp 700 million for psychosocial support.
Beyond restoring learning facilities, the ministry has prepared a special disaster-themed curriculum to be implemented in three phases. The first phase, which is set to run for the next three months, has a simplified focus that includes basic competencies, adaptive learning methods and psychosocial assistance.
Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.
Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!
Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.