TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Thousands of Aceh flood evacuees welcome Ramadan from emergency tents

Panji Akbar, another evacuee in Aceh Tamiang, said he fears this year’s Ramadan will be far less peaceful than in previous years.

Apriadi Gunawan (The Jakarta Post)
Premium
Medan
Wed, February 18, 2026 Published on Feb. 17, 2026 Published on 2026-02-17T16:11:42+07:00

Change text size

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!
Interrupted childhood: Two children from Gampong Gunci village stand in a temporary housing complex on Monday in Sawang, North Aceh, Aceh province. A total of 326 residents from 85 families have been living in the emergency shelters for three months after flash floods and landslides struck their villages in late November 2025. They are scheduled to relocate to temporary housing at the start of Ramadan. Interrupted childhood: Two children from Gampong Gunci village stand in a temporary housing complex on Monday in Sawang, North Aceh, Aceh province. A total of 326 residents from 85 families have been living in the emergency shelters for three months after flash floods and landslides struck their villages in late November 2025. They are scheduled to relocate to temporary housing at the start of Ramadan. (Antara/Aprillio Akbar)

M

ore than two months after devastating floods hit Aceh, thousands of displaced residents in the Muslim-majority province are welcoming Ramadan in crowded emergency tents, worried they will have to fast under difficult conditions.

For 40-year-old Firman Banurea, who has been living in a makeshift shelter in Aceh Tamiang regency with his wife and three children, the approach of the fasting month brings anxiety rather than joy.

“I never imagined we would spend Ramadan in an evacuation camp,” he said on Monday. “All these years, my family and I welcomed the fasting month happily at home. I feel like crying whenever I think about it.”

Firman’s home was left severely damaged after floods inundated Sumatra in November last year, leaving it uninhabitable.

He estimates it would cost around Rp 40 million (US$2,375) to rebuild, money he simply does not have. Meanwhile, so far, he said, he has not received any government assistance to repair his home.

Firman said she applied for a unit in temporary housing several days ago, hoping to give his family a more dignified and comfortable place to celebrate Ramadan. However, he has received no response so far.

The Jakarta Post - Newsletter Icon

Morning Brief

Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning.

Delivered straight to your inbox three times weekly, this curated briefing provides a concise overview of the day's most important issues, covering a wide range of topics from politics to culture and society.

By registering, you agree with The Jakarta Post's

Thank You

for signing up our newsletter!

Please check your email for your newsletter subscription.

View More Newsletter

With no alternative but to remain in the emergency tent, Firman said he now focuses on keeping his family healthy through the holy month so they can fast and pray without disruption.

to Read Full Story

  • Unlimited access to our web and app content
  • e-Post daily digital newspaper
  • No advertisements, no interruptions
  • Privileged access to our events and programs
  • Subscription to our newsletters
or

Purchase access to this article for

We accept

TJP - Visa
TJP - Mastercard
TJP - GoPay

Redirecting you to payment page

Pay per article

Thousands of Aceh flood evacuees welcome Ramadan from emergency tents

Rp 35,000 / article

1
Create your free account
By proceeding, you consent to the revised Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.
Already have an account?

2
  • Palmerat Barat No. 142-143
  • Central Jakarta
  • DKI Jakarta
  • Indonesia
  • 10270
  • +6283816779933
2
Total Rp 35,000

Your Opinion Matters

Share your experiences, suggestions, and any issues you've encountered on The Jakarta Post. We're here to listen.

Enter at least 30 characters
0 / 30

Thank You

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We appreciate your feedback.

Share options

Quickly share this news with your network—keep everyone informed with just a single click!

Change text size options

Customize your reading experience by adjusting the text size to small, medium, or large—find what’s most comfortable for you.

Gift Premium Articles
to Anyone

Share the best of The Jakarta Post with friends, family, or colleagues. As a subscriber, you can gift 3 to 5 articles each month that anyone can read—no subscription needed!

Continue in the app

Get the best experience—faster access, exclusive features, and a seamless way to stay updated.